27 January 2013

Basic Brownie Recipe

It's one of my favourite slices! Easy to prepare and they have long shelf life. Perfect for potlucks or as a gift. Brownies is one of the first few recipes I learned when I was in grade school. You can't go wrong on this, promise! Brownies are either cakey or fudgy. The recipe I'll be sharing with you today is fudgy and a bit chewy. Don't expect a great height on your slices.

I prefer using Dutch processed cocoa powder whenever I make brownies because it tastes better and the colour looks more attractive, in my opinion. Some natural cocoa powder renders a light or pale brown finish despite the good cocoa taste. I guess it also depends on the brand. Sometimes high quality cocoa powder being used commercially can't be sourced from local stores.

In  my knowledge, there are two types of cocoa powder in the supermarket, natural  and dutch processed cocoa powder. Cocoa powder, by nature, is acidic. Hence, if you've noticed, recipes calling for natural cocoa powder are paired with baking soda as a chemical leavener. It is because the chemical reaction happens with the presence of acid. Dutch processed, on the other hand, had the acids neutralized through alkali treatment. Baking soda will not work if you used dutch processed cocoa unless there are other ingredients in your recipe which are acidic, such as brown sugar or vinegar.

Now, go and get your cocoa! Happy baking! 

BROWNIES

3/4    c melted butter
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2    c Dutch processed cocoa powder
2 pcs.  eggs
1      c flour
1 1/2 t  baking powder
Optional topping: chopped nuts (almond,pecan or walnut)

Procedure:

  • Pre-heat oven at 350 F or 170 C.
  • In a bowl, mix butter, cocoa and sugar with a wooden spoon.
  • Add eggs.
  • Then, the remaining dry ingredients. Mix until lump free.
  • Pour in a 7x7 or 8x8 square pan lined with foil.
  • Bake for 30 mins or until done.
Notes:


  • Photo above shows how to have a neat lining of aluminum foil in your square pan. 
  • Cool completely before slicing. Chill before slicing so you'll have cleaner edges.
  • Baked brownies can be kept in the freezer and thaw few hours before serving
P.S. If you plan to try this recipe, kindly let me know how it turned out. I would be very delighted to hear your comments. Maybe we can post photos of your brownies. 






2 comments:

  1. Where can I find Dutch processed cocoa powder? I've been trying to look for this in vain. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! I'm also having difficulty looking for Dutch processed cocoa powder here in Sydney. I've done the rounds of supermarkets and I couldn't find any. When I was in the Philippines, I used Bensdorp, which is a brand of Callebaut. If I'm using cocoa powder, I add a small amount of baking soda so I'll have a darker and not a reddish brown finished product. If you're based here in Aus, use Wooly's Homebrand 100% Cocoa Powder. Quite similar to Dutch Processed as far as colour and taste are concerned. Have a nice day!

      Delete